• Union Station Historic Restoration

    home
  • Union Station Historic Restoration

    home
  • Union Station Historic Restoration

    home
  • Union Station Historic Restoration

    home

UNION STATION

Located at the northern end of TriMet’s transit mall, Union Station serves as a transportation hub for Portland, Oregon. Union Station is also only a short walk to both lines of the Portland Streetcar, in the Pearl District.

HISTORY

The initial design for the station was created in 1882 by McKim, Mead, and White. Had the original plan been built, the station would have been the largest train station in the world. A smaller plan was introduced by architects Van Brunt & Howe, and accepted in 1885. Construction of the station began in 1890. It was built by Northern Pacific Terminal Company at a cost of $300,000, and opened on February 14, 1896.

The signature piece of Union Station is the 150 ft. tall Romanesque Revival clock tower. The neon signs were added to it in 1948. The signs read “Go by Train” on the northeast and southwest sides and “Union Station” on the northwest and southeast sides.

The station was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.

THE CHALLENGE

ARCIFORM was brought on to restore all the windows, doors and exterior woodwork.