COQUILLE RIVER LIGHTHOUSE
Originally named Bandon Light, was commissioned in 1895. First lit on February 29, 1896, the light guided mariners past the dangerous shifting sandbars into the Coquille River and harbor at Bandon, Oregon.
In September 1936, a large wildfire swept through the surrounding area, and destroyed most of Bandon. The town soon became bankrupt as a result of the decline in shipping. Coquille Lighthouse was shut down in 1939 and replaced by an automated lighthouse on the south jetty.
Over the next 37 years, the condition of the lighthouse deteriorated due to neglect and vandalism, until 1976, when its first major restoration began.
In 2015, ARCIFORM was brought on board to repair the exterior masonry and replace all the windows.
Having to sustain strong winds and crashing waves, these windows were built to last using Alaskan Yellow Cedar and all stainless steel or brass fasteners. Historic details were matched with a curved pediment and ornate details.
The tower windows were not just arched on the top, but curved radiusly to match the tower. ARCIFORM skillfully cut the woodwork to match the radius of the tower.
Architect: Susan Licht