THE FLINT BARN
Is one of ten buildings still standing on the private Manning–Kamna Farm adjacent to Hillsboro, Oregon and settled in the 1850s. These ten buildings were built between 1883 and 1930.
About 1910 the Kamna family built an addition to the barn, and around 1920 built a second addition to the barn. The original two-story barn is the oldest and largest of the remaining buildings. On October 10th, 2007, the Manning–Kamna Farm was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The barn had gone into a period of relative neglect during the latter part of the 20th century as it was no longer being used for agricultural purposes. The new owner of the property had maintained the barn for only a few years when a wind storm tore off the west side of the building.
ARCIFORM’s work was focused on the southwest quadrant. They temporarily cribbed and braced with wood framing as they lifted the corner of the building and multiple points of each floor individually to ease the corner, first then the second floor and roof planes back into place so they aligned with the rest of the barn. They then removed a rotted post and beam framing that needed to be replaced.
A lumber mill in Montana was one of only a few mills that could supply and mill the lumber to the specific dimensions needed and still provide the lumber circular rough-sawn like the original barn. Creative Woodworking custom milled the tongue and groove scalloped siding and Versatile Wood Products fabricated the single pane divided lite sash.